Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Answered Prayer

H is for Healer


Last Saturday when I finished up the letter "G" I immediately felt this sense of dread. Because "H" was the next letter. I was hoping I could just go onto letter "I" and forget about that dreadful "H". But since most of you who read this are pretty aware of things, I guess I better not try to skip a letter...or at least wait until "X".

Knowing that this letter was going to give me some problems, I took the matter to God. The other night I prayed that God would give me a word for the letter "H". I felt silly for doing so at first, but then I thought, "Why wouldn't God want me to figure Him out a little bit more?". So, I prayed and then I waited....

The answer came to me this morning. Healer. I subbed in a class at preschool today and it's funny how God can use circle time to answer prayer. The Bible story this week was the one where Jesus healed the paralyzed man whose friends lowered through the roof. What faith that must have taken on those men's parts. Faith in Jesus that He would heal their friend. And because of their faith, Jesus healed the man.

Broken bones, broken hearts, broken spirits. God heals. God is the ultimate physician and the most capable caretaker. When we hurt, he hurts but the glorious thing is, He is able to make the pain go away. In His time and His power, our afflictions can be healed. Whether He chooses to do so on this side of eternity or on the other, He will heal our pain.

I know at times, this is easy to forget. Sometimes, it is so easy to succumb to the pain and despair of our physical or emotional ailments. I'm sure that for a moment, that paralyzed man thought, "What's the point in ruining a perfectly good roof?" but what a sight that must have been to see. A man, whose legs were unmoving, all of a sudden putting one foot in front of the other.

Isn't it amazing that we have a God who is able to heal even the biggest of hurts? A God who wants us to come to Him. Even if it's through the roof .

No comments: