Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Familiarizing Myself...

I is for Intimate


Those of you who know me well are probably doing a double take at the word above. You're thinking, "this ought to be good, Becky writing about intimacy." You would be correct. I have never been all that comfortable with the idea of initmacy. I mean, even a hug is stretching it for me. But I was reading something the other day that made rethink the idea of initmacy and God.

In our Sunday night small group we are reading and discussing "How to Listen to God" by Charles Stanley. It's been a really good discussion and definitely a heart searching read. The chapter we discussed two weeks ago was about meditation. Meditation sort of gets a negative connotation but it's value and it's affects can be so rewarding.

One of the things about meditation is that it is an opportunity to enter God's presence and be completely and entirely real with Him. One of the definitions of the word "intimate" is 'marked by very close association, contact, or familiarity'. Isn't it wonderful that we have a God who not only wants but craves for us to be familiar with Him. For us to know His ways and to be so completley and confidently comfortable with Him.

At first, the idea of being made known completely by God is a little frightening. My shortcomings and inabilities being magnified and having no place to hide is more than a little disconcerting. But therein lies the beauty of initmacy. Those areas where I fear I fall short go away and no longer matter. All that matters is my relationship with the One who created me.

I still find it amazing that the Creator of the highest mountains and the deepest oceans, still cherishes time with me. He who made the stars desires to put His arms around me and hold me close. He desires for me to become familiar with Him.

No comments: