Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Plowing Ahead


F is for Fixated

I'm going to try to concentrate on writing this blog. It won't be easy because there is so much stuff going on. In case you haven't looked up at the date, it's Christmas Eve and everyone is here. White Christmas is on the television and let's be honest, Jake is probably doing something spectacular that needs to watched. I'm trying to remember if I wrapped everything and I still don't know what I am going to wear to church tonight. Like I said, lots of stuff. When there is so much to do and so much to think about it's hard to focus on any one thing.

Aren't we glad God isn't like that? I am. If God had my attention span and my ability to focus, we'd all be in a world of trouble. But he doesn't, thankfully. There is a Psalms that says (and I am paraphrasing here) "where can I go from your sight?" With all that God has going on, He still sees us. His eyes are always on us. There is no where on earth we can go that He won't find us. In a word, He is fixated on us.

I love that promise. I love knowing that His gaze is always on me. When I was a freshmen in high school, the thought of navigating my way thru the halls of such a large school was frightening. On the first day of school, my mom gave me a note. On the note she wrote "Even if you get lost, you are not alone." Isn't that a wonderful thought? Even if we are lost and way off the path, we are not alone. We have a God that will never take his eyes off of us.

My nephew Jake loves to explore our house. He loves to crawl from room to room, his little legs working so fast. Every once in a while, he'll look back at whoever is following him. It's almost as if he just wants to make sure we're still back there, watching him. Making sure that if he gets into trouble or if something scares him, there is someone bigger to help him out. To get him out of whatever mess he's gotten into. Knowing that someone's eyes on him, he plows ahead. Safe in the knowledge that someone is fixated on him.

God's eyes are always fixated on and with that knowledge, we can plow ahead too.

1 comment: