Saturday, March 12, 2011

Do You See What I See?

I got my first pair of glasses in the fifth grade. Red, plastic-rimmed glasses from Lens Crafters. They were special :) Since then, I have come a long way in my glasses fashion sense. I now sport, when I am not wearing my all too expensive but all too needed contact lenses, a pair of half-rimless, black and white spectacles. Needless to say, I like these a bit better. But, regardless of the style, corrected vision has been part of my life since I was 10 years old. I'm not sure what it is like to wake up in the morning and not squint to see what time it is or how not to panic when someone moves my glasses after I've taken out my contacts (you know who you are). However much a frustration as this is, I have been blessed with my glasses and contacts because they have improved my sense of sight and have given me the ability to see, clearly, some incredible things. Things that I am so thankful for....

11. Welcome to Virginia Signs- I moved to Virginia when I was about seven years old. Virginia is home. When I was a student at WCU and missing my home, there was no better sight than the sign with the red cardinal on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. On those long drives back from Beaufort, that red cardinal is there again. Virginia is for Lovers :)

12. Sunrises- I don't see a lot these :) But, seeing one means that I am probably doing something fun. Whether it is on 95 driving south or those ridiculously early morning two-a-days, I have seen some incredible sunrises.

13. Mountain View Road in the Fall- Reds, oranges, yellows, and purples. Fall is my favorite season and this road hardly ever disappoints with the colors. It makes driving the speed limit worth it...

14. Palm Springs Aerial Tram- Not to brag or anything, but this IS the world's largest aerial rotating tram and I have been on it. I might have been glued to the pole in the middle of the rotating death capsule we were stuck on but still. It took me up 8500 feet to one of the most beautiful views I have ever seen. We started in the desert and ended up in a snow filled forest. Incredible.

15. A Baseball Field- I love baseball fields. I'm not sure why but I think part of it is because of the infield. Clean, crisp white baselines. The infield grass. Or maybe it's the outfield with the criss-cross mowing. Don't know, don't care. I love baseball fields.

16. The Natural Bridge- I have actually been there twice and both times have been blown away. It's a bridge in the side of a mountain! I mean, wow :)

17. Blue Skies- I like rainy days, but I like blue sky days too. Those days where it seems like you can see forever and wish you could.

18. The Mediterranean- On a Monday in July, I stood on a boat that was actually on the Mediterranean Sea. Unbelievable. It was so blue and beautiful. I took some pictures but I really just stood on the side of the boat and just stared out at it. I think I was too afraid to take a lot of pictures because I didn't want to distract from the actual experience. It was something I will never forget.

19. The Ocean- Let me start by saying that I don't actually get into the ocean. But I do like looking at it. I like being on the beach, with a good book, a cold drink, and a nice big umbrella :) There is something calming and constant about watching the waves crash on the shore. I like that.

20. Snow- Snow and I have love-hate relationship. I love looking at it but hate going out in it. I love the winter wonderland feel of snow and I love the silence of it. I'm thankful that it gives me random days off in the winter, too.

No comments: