Friday, October 31, 2008

My Alphabet

Tonight I am going to start something that I am a little scared to start. Mainly because I am afraid I won't finish. I was thinking last night about how I really want to know God better and grow in Him. SO I decided to go through the alphabet and pick a word for each letter that describes who God is to me. These are simply my thoughts. So, in the word of my favorite nun, "Let's start at the very beginning. A very good place to start..."

A is for Artist

Isaiah 64: 8

Art was never my strongest area in school. In fact, I was never so glad to stop having to take a class than I was in 7th grade when art was no longer on my schedule. It's just not a talent of mine. However, not being an artist doesn't mean I'm not enchanted by art. Sure, I don't care much for knowing the difference between Gothic and Realism and I can't tell you the name of any of Titian's work but I do know beauty when I see it. And there has never been a greater artist than THE Artist.

God created the heavens and the earth. He created darkness and light. In His creation, he touches all of the senses. Sight- Ever stood in Joshua Tree National Park? The blue sky of the California desert, the mountains off in the distance, and the trees themselves are maginificent. Sound- I may not enjoy the ocean all that much but I will never tire of hearing waves crash on the shore. Or the sound of a perfect string of musical notes. All from God. Smell- Roses, pine trees, a bonfire in the fall. Heaven must smell lovely. Taste- There is nothing better than a strawberry in season or let's face it, chocolate in any season. Touch- I could hold the hand of my 9 month old nephew Jake forever. So soft and smooth. The Creator certainly knows how to capture our attention.

He also uses countless mediums to express His artistry. Flesh- My mom is the most beautiful person I know. And I'll admit the new 007 is not a bad example of His handiwork. But not only human flesh. Flamingos, giraffes, lions, dolphins (all girls like dolphins, right). Every animal came out of the Creator's workshop. How about color. Take a drive through the Shenendoah in the fall. Vibrant reds, shades of orange, and the brightest yellows. And I've heard pictures don't do justice to the blue of the Caribbean waters.

With each stroke of His hand and each wave of His brush, He creates something to marvel at. There is nothing good on earth that He is not the maker of, that He is not responsible for. Each snow capped mountain, every lush green forest, and all of the nighttime stars, He made. Every beautiful note of music, each child's laugh, He put together. Everything.

His work never goes out of style and could never fit into a single frame. It is not for musems only. It is meant to be touched, explored, and enjoyed. It could never be copied or reproduced. Everything He has designed is an original. He is the ultimate Artist.

2 comments:

Kate said...

i beg to differ on your knowledge of titian...and i am excited for letter 'B'!

Anonymous said...

VERY excited to see what letter B is going to be!!